The 2nd Symposium for Electrical Safety Experts, will take place from 27-28 March 2012 in Sheraton Hotel, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and will bring together regional and international leaders from organizations involved in the Electrical Fields. The Symposium will provide a platform for innovations to be celebrated, benchmarked and discussed, and the opportunities for those considering improvements to evaluate the best approach for their organizations.
Statistics released by the directorate general of civil defense to short circuit accidents during the years 2005-2009 shows the following:
- Number of fires accidents caused by short-circuit was about 44000, 45% of them were in residential sector, 20% were in electric units, and about 18% were in public facilities.
- Number of death people was 185, 85% of them were in residential sector.
- Number of injuries was 1466, 75% of them were in the residential sector.
- The material loss due to electrical short circuit incidents , more than 70 million dollars and 22% in the residential sector, and about 70% in industry, commercial and other public facilities.
- A study carried out by the ministry of water and electricity in cooperation with the Saudi organization for standardization , Metrology and Quality shows that about 80% of the plugs and sockets which are imported to the Saudi market was not conforming to the relevant standards
So, we believe that there are still large ratios to do more attention to reduce incidents of electrical short circuit.